Norwalk Housing Foundation College Scholarship Program was established in 1998 to provide support for Norwalk Public Housing residents who dream of going to college.
Some facts about this program:
- This year a total of 38 students were awarded scholarships totaling $182,000
- NHF College Scholarships vary based on need with amounts ranging from $1,000 to $8,000
- Annually assists students with other academic financial aid
- A total of 274 scholarships have been awarded totaling $682,500
- In October 2009, the NHF College Scholarship Program was honored with the National Award of Excellence from NAHRO (National Association of Housing and Redevelopment Officials)
- 100 percent of all donations go directly to scholarships
- Sixty percent of scholarship recipients attend 4-year colleges
- All donations are tax exempt
According to the Harvard Business Club of CT Community Partners September 2012 report:
- From 1998-2012, 60% of recipients attended 4-year colleges
- 84% of African-Americans graduate compared to 45% statewide
- 92% of Latino recipients graduate compared to 52% statewide
- The NHF College Scholarship program received the NAHRO (National Association of Housing and Redevelopment Officials) National Award of Excellence in 2009
- College costs are growing faster than medical, food or shelter costs (Bloomberg, August, 2012). Four year college costs have almost doubled over the past 10 years placing a college degree out of reach for many of NHA's low income youth. However, in order to break the cycle of poverty, these young residents need a college education to successfully compete in Fairfield County's highly educated workforce.
- Exceptional oversight committee, which is comprised of local leaders representing business, education, and philanthropy
- The Norwalk Housing Foundation program annually assists students with locating other resources for additional academic financial aid
If you or someone you know is interested in applying for an Norwalk Housing Foundation College Scholarship, applications are available annually January 1 and April 15.
For more information or to donate today, contact:
NHF Scholarship Coordinator
Phone: (203) 838-8471 x.176
The Norwalk Housing Foundation, Inc., is a 501 (c) 3 non-profit tax-exempt corporation, created to support the improvement of quality of life for Norwalk’s public housing residents. All donations are tax deductible.