The general responsibility of the Reading Coach is to use best practices to provide direct instruction to students or to support, including coaching, after school staff, and youth.
Reading Coaches are certified teachers assigned to this position.
The Reading Coaches will report to the Program Manager, CT After School Programs. They will work closely with the Norwalk Public Schools in the implementation of programs that are consistent with the school's curriculum.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Direct Instruction to Students
- Instruction should be based on short-term intervention and individual student improvement plans with an expectation of written assessments of student progress.
- Instructional planning and delivery should be collaborative with the lead coordinator who is responsible for all children in his/her center.
- Instruction should not supplant the work of responsibility of lead coordinator.
- Instruction may be provided one-on-one, in small groups, or to the whole center.
2. Staff Support and Coaching
- Models lessons.
- Shares research and best practices.
- Leads/facilitates study groups.
- Works with center staff to examine student work.
- Assists in the development of, and reviews with center staff, individual student improvement plans as needed.
3. Service to Parents
- Communicates with Parents about the Reading program.
- Provides workshops for parents.
- Participates in program assessment.
- Participates in school and district improvement teams.
- Keeps abreast of current theory, research and best practices in language arts and literacy development.
- Recommends appropriate children's literature.
- Recommends titles for summer reading lists.
Connecticut certification. Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively and collegially; knowledge of curriculum, instruction, research and best practices in language arts and literacy; leadership skills; ability to run workshops for staff and parents; effective communication skills; knowledge of coaching; good organizational and management skills; strong interpersonal skills; demonstrated ability to work with students individually and in small groups.
How to apply
Please submit a resume and cover letter to Nicole Ruffin at email@example.com.